At the 2017 business meeting, Viscom division members voted to support excellence in visual communication teaching by founding the Excellence in Visual Education award. The 2018 award, consisting of a plaque and a $100 honorarium, is underwritten by former Viscom Head Dr. Birgit Wassmuth. This award supports teaching excellence as well as helps applicants prepare for promotion and tenure. Each year’s award winner will be featured at that year’s teaching marathon panel and have their syllabus placed on the Viscom website as a model for other educators.
Application deadline is Feb. 5, 2018.
- Applicant must be a member of AEJMC Viscom Division in year she or he is applying.
- Cover letter (max. two pages) highlighting accomplishments contained in the package and agreeing to present at the AEJMC conference teaching panel, if a winner.
- CV emphasizing visual communication accomplishments.
- A one-page letter from a colleague supporting the application.
- One syllabus highlighting excellence in or innovative practices in visual communication. (The winner’s syllabus will be posted on the VISC website.)
- Examples of student work from an assignment in the syllabus.
- Please email submissions and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A judging committee consisting of the VISC’s teaching chair, head, and vice-head will review and rank the applications and contact the applicants approximately one month after the application date.